Teaching students through games has become a skill for an increasing number of educators and educational institutions(Metzger, S. A., & Paxton, R. J. 2016). Usually, Metzger and Paxton believe that games are considered to be a distraction to students during the study, but they can increase students’ interest and active participation, improve visual skills, and improve students’ learning ability (2016).

After carefully reading the articles of the pod4, I realized that their central idea is that games can become one of the educational tools because they can bring students creativity and interest. Through games to guide students to take the initiative to learn, and create experiential learning, so that students have more autonomy to their learning ideas, and learn more suitably, at the same time, they can also reflect on and improve their learning methods in the whole experience.

In particular, the team used Scratch as an example to show how games can get students actively involved in learning or playing. Because of Scratch’s unlimited availability on the web, it has an audience of its own, and its rich colors and animations appeal to as many people as possible.

I can tell from their articles that they want games to be integrated with teaching so that students can learn knowledge while playing games. With this concept, I can think of how to operate this concept, for example, I can design will each knowledge point of learning to make the level of the game, when students through a checkpoint mean they learn new knowledge, can also link level, the next gate clearance solutions can also be included in the front gate of the knowledge.

I think that this group has good ideas and ideas, and can teach the audience how to use games in education to teach students who are easily distracted or not eager to learn, and really teach students according to their aptitude.

In a word, I quite like this project, because the main body of the project is clear, each step has a good process, and Interactive Activities are fully prepared. Indeed, there are some imperfections, such as they did not prepare the Assessment Plan. But on the whole, it’s good, because their theory is very accommodating to students who are not very keen on learning and easily distracted, and also applicable to ordinary learners.

Reference:

Metzger, S. A., & Paxton, R. J. (2016). Gaming History: A Framework for What Video Games Teach About the Past. Theory & Research in Social Education, 44(4), 532–564. https://doi.org/10.1080/00933104.2016.1208596